Oh comfort zone, how I’ve missed you!
On Thursday night I received another desperate social sport call-up. At 3pm my friend at work asked me if I wanted to play in her friends’ social mixed soccer team later that night. They were short of female subs. I jumped at the chance; I had been looking around for a summer soccer comp and hadn’t found anything so it was kind of spooky that I got asked out of the blue. Anyway this adventure starts in a familiar way.. i.e. not that great. As usual I get lost and turn up about 5 minutes late. I finally find my team after wandering around and asking random players “are you Ben”?, “do you wear orange shirts”?. This week they were in blue shirts, hmmm.
Anyhoo luckily they did have some subs so I didn’t have to make a mad dash onto the field. When I did a few minutes later it felt so good, I love playing this sport, it makes sense to me, I understand it, I know the rules (better than the ref actually, it was a goal kick not a throw-in you silly man!).
Yet again I realise how unfit I am and I also seem to have lost some ball skills between Canberra and Melbourne…and the goal against us may have been partly my fault after my defensive clearance ricochet off my own player and into the goal…oops.
But all in all it was great fun, I hope they ask me back again...and I didn’t have to cut my nails and my clothing was acceptable.

2 Comments:
So glad you got some soccer, hope you get to go back. Looks like I might not be playing this summer and probably not next winter either. And I was just pondering yesterday if this means I will lose my (meagre) skills. And I thought, no, it's all right, you always manage to come back and kick butt!
Mike wanted to know why I was laughing so I read him the blog. He thought it was good. Hope you get asked back! Think this is more your style then the netball. And even I know an own goal when I kick one...
Post a Comment
<< Home