Hello, here's me!

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Fascinator massacre

I went shopping today for a hat, shoes and bag for the races next weekend. Normally I love shopping EXCEPT for when I am looking for something in particular or in this case 3 things in particular that have to match!.
The activity of shopping generally gets a bad rap, its expensive, frustrating and kind of vain, however if you look at it from an exercise point of view its not such a bad thing. Today I walked for 3 hours without sitting down, up and down stairs, dodging children, prams and other shoppers and lifting up items. It’s a whole body work-out!.
I started the expedition off looking for a hat, after an hour of trying on countless expensive, stupid looking and ill-fitting millinery cast-offs I decided to give up and go for a fascinator instead. I love fascinators, I love the word (I applaud the person who came up with it), I love the feathers, the sparkly bits and the fluffy bits, they look like fluffy little animals. However, when I walked over to the fascinator section I was appalled, it looked like a massacre, the little creatures were thrown all over the place, they were squashed, mixed up together and all over the floor. I was so distraught I had to leave the store! (actually I couldn’t find one that I liked and I got sick of being pushed and shoved so I left, stupid Melbourne racing season, yet again I vow never to leave things to the last minute!).
Women on the shopping hunt for a particular item can be extremely annoying but the ones that take their boyfriends/husbands along are even worse. I half feel sorry for these guys who look like they would rather be at the dentist than blocking up the isles in a women’s clothing store and who (a) wouldn’t have a clue if that hat goes with this dress and (b) couldn’t really give a shit.
So anyway after 3 hours of trudging around the shops subsisting on my breakfast of a bowl of porridge and 1 cup of coffee I ventured home with 1 item, a bag which was on special for $35. If it doesn’t go with the dress I really don’t care at this point.
To do on Sunday: rescue a fascinator from an evil department store….

2 Comments:

At 2:06 AM, Blogger Bertie Mabootoo said...

Well I totally feel sympathy with those guys (since I had to look up what a fascinator was!) and with you (since, well, since it's shopping).

Good luck with take 2 tomorrow :)

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Olivia said...

Hey, go into Lincraft or Spotlight, get some fluffy/feathery crafty bits, pin 'em into your hairdo, voila! Same diff. OK, time for a disclaimer: I have never worn a fascinator nor actually seen one up close. But I do believe Lincraft usually have all the bits you need to make your own.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home