Absence makes the friendship stronger
I used to believe that the saying ‘absence makes the heart grow fonder’ was a true statement. I now believe it to be absolute bollocks. As far as relationships go absence is a tough hill to climb with many highs and lows. I wouldn’t recommend it because in many cases instead of strengthening a relationship it results in a slow and painful death. I think this saying is the victim of Chinese whispers. It probably started off many years ago with a different message. I think it applies not to couples but to friends.
One of my major concerns about leaving Canberra was that I was leaving all my friends behind and I knew no-one in Melbourne. I was worried that the distance would weaken my connection to them. BUT I am happy to report that the opposite has happened. I feel that since being in Melbourne, none of my friendships have suffered (I hope no-one disagrees!) and in fact I feel closer to some people now than I did before. Part of the reason is that it now requires more effort, therefore it means more when people call, email, sametime, comment or visit. When I write, talk on the phone or meet up in person we both want to get the most out of the conversation so we talk about more important issues. We communicate more in general because we have set aside time from our busy lives. Even if the conversation is short or about mundane daily activities it requires more effort and is therefore highly appreciated.
I’ve just realised my blogs have become quite contemplative of late, which isn’t a huge surprise since I am on a bit of a journey of self discovery here in Melbs. Historically this journey has also contained a large amount of me making a fool out of myself (embarrassing but great blog material). Luckily for me this hasn’t happened recently. I’ve become quite the fabulous netball player (I was even referred to as the ‘Iron Curtain’ on Sunday after a very solid display of goal keeping skills!) so no stories in that direction. Never fear I’m sure I’ll be back to my old ways in no time!.

2 Comments:
I guess I better comment then! The least you should expect from your journey is good blog material, and you've certainly created plenty of that. And I certainly feel I've gotten to know you better through your writings, since in person I rarely let an interruption to my whingeing occur :)
Contemplative is good!
Yes I think a few of us are getting to know you differently through your blog. I find it fascinating.
But I really enjoyed having some time with you in-person, even more!
Post a Comment
<< Home