Hello, here's me!

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Sunday morning revelations

I’m probably more of a spiritual person than a religious person but there is definitely something calming and clarifying about Sunday mornings. Maybe my good Sunday morning mood had been artificially heightened by the beautiful clear, warm weather, the large organic breakfast I ate and the shoes I bought for $39, whatever the cause it doesn’t really matter I was feeling content. After eating my very delicious breakfast of poached egg on rye bread with mushrooms, bacon and homemade baked beans while reading the paper in an organic café in north Fitzroy I decided to walk about 4 blocks to the shopping area on Brunswick road. I really love this area, it’s very grungy and raw with lots of unique shops and cafes (I think secretly underneath I’m a bit of a hippy, I love vegetarian food, soy milk, vegie patches and quirky clothes, which I’m not quite game enough to wear). Anyway as the walk was quite long I had a lot of time to think.
Now I know I’m not the first person to make this observation but I realised that I actually already have a lot of the things in my life that I have been searching for. I have a tendency (as do a lot of people I’m sure) to look around at everyone else and think that they have a better life than me. I have a picture or ideal in my mind of the person I want to be and the life I want to have and I always assume that I don’t have it and therefore keep trying to attain it. As I was walking it struck me that I have more than I think, I have a lot of really good friends, a loving and supportive family, a well paying job (also frequently frustrating, but oh well!) in a very good part of Melbourne, I’ve travelled, I have hobbies, interests, I’m young, healthy and generally quite happy. What exactly am I searching for?. I know my life isn’t perfect, I don’t have everything I want, but I honestly don’t think you can have everything you want, otherwise what are you working towards?. Perhaps I should stop looking around me and start looking within me and appreciating what I already have. I still have a lot of things to achieve and I still get inspired by other people but I’m going to try to stop comparing myself and thinking that I’ve come up short. It sounds a bit egotistical but I agree with the idea that you have to like yourself, it seems weird but a lot of people, me included at times really don’t like themselves. This has got to be causing a lot of inner conflict!. I’m sure I can think up a lot of other things to be concerned about!.

Oh and I have also figured out why some waiters/waitresses are rude to their customers. This is a pet peeve of mine. I think in some exceptional circumstances people will eat at a restaurant/café again even after bad service because the food is particularly good. Because of this some businesses are trying some reverse psychology, they actually believe that if they are rude to you, you will think “oh well the food must be great here, otherwise they would go out of business”. Let me tell you right now restaurant/café owners out there, there is no excuse for bad service, and if I get some I will NEVER return and I will tell everyone I know, you should never underestimate word of mouth!.

2 Comments:

At 2:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think that every so often, but never able to follow through. Maybe next year!! Once I've talked issues over with PM. Want to live there too. KG

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Bertie Mabootoo said...

I agree on all your points, but can't phrase them as eruditely as you, so here goes: walking - good, tasty food - good, comparing yourself with others - bad, poor service - punishable by lack of my business.

And if you ever find yourself not liking yourself, just see you through a friend's eyes (e.g. me) and say "wow! That bertie's pretty cool and he likes me, so I must be waaay better than I could possibly imagine! bertie's right, I'm awesome!" :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home