Hello, here's me!

Sunday, September 24, 2006

The week that was

Last week nothing particularly interesting happened for me to write a blog about but a lot of important little things occurred that warrant a mention.

EMAIL SAVIOUR
Monday started with a usual lack of enthusiasm, however I received an email from a friend telling me news of Canberra and asking how things were going. This thoughtfulness in itself made me feel good but he also advised me not to worry too much about my job (which by the way I hate). He told me to make sure I only work the required hours and not to think about work while at home. He says there's more to life than work!. This made me feel a lot better as I had started to feel like I wasn't putting in enough hours or being dedicated enough. Thanks GP, I totally agree.

MID-WEEK MAKEOVER
Whenever you visit a new hairdresser there's always the risk you'll be wearing a scarf for the next 6 weeks. Since I had made an appointment with a salon that I found from the internet I was thinking lucky summer is arriving and if everything goes wrong I can just shave it all off!. Wednesday evening arrives and I front up to the salon which is a block from my work. I'm happy to report that all went well. A glass of champagne helped me cope with the bleaching (this always scares me since I had a hair snapping off incident with bleach years ago) and the amount of hair being cut off. I got along well with my hairdresser, very important and we had an interesting conversation about arriving in a new city and trying to make friends and settle in (she had just returned from 7 years in London).
It cost an arm and a leg but I felt good so I figured it was worth it.

FRIEND ONCE REMOVED
On Thursday I had arranged drinks with a friend of a friend, always a little dubious but in this case the evening went really well. We had some wine, some chips and some good conversation in a busy little bar in Southbank. I was actually starting to feel like a real Melburnian, instead of a Canberra invader.

I'M NOT LOOKING!
The problem with not looking is that you might fall flat on your face, metaphorically speaking!. You see this weekend I decided to take the advice of some of my friends who said "you don't have to look, it will happen when you least expect it" and stop looking. I figured the problem is that I'm trying too hard. So on the tram on Sunday morning on the way to a brunch I wasn't sure was even still on I missed a golden opportunity. Towards the end of my journey, an attractive South African tourist sitting across from me asks if this tram is going to the beach, I explain its going close but I'm new in town so a bit unsure myself. We have a conversation about Melbourne and Canberra, restaurants and beaches, I find out he's in town on business until Wednesday. I get so distracted by the conversation that I completely miss my stop. I end up getting off at the end of the line and he follows me looking a little lost. At this point I'm somewhat lost myself and worried about being late for the brunch (which I confirmed was still on) so I rush off. In hindsight, I should have seized the opportunity and offered to show him around, after all he was really nice and in town on his own. I kicked myself for the rest of the day, oh well I guess it wasn't meant to be!.

NETTY TAKE 2
I turn up to netball on Sunday evening with my nails filed AND wearing shorts....now what have you got to say for yourselves you egomaniacs!. We are short 1 player and I have to play goal keeper. Just when I had figured out the subtle nuances of wing defense!. Many fouls later (though less than last time, I'm learnin!) we lose by 2 points.

CACTUS PYJAMAS
I also want to thank SO for his fantastic doormat drawing and his correspondence. It made me smile and your emails help me get through the crappy working week.
Keep up the good work;-)

3 Comments:

At 3:40 AM, Blogger Bertie Mabootoo said...

Glad to help :) I better keep on emailing then! Must... have... more... interesting... life... to... have... something... to... write... about...

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

Loved your I'm not looking story, lucky I'm not single as I have the 'f*ckoff vibe' and never talk to strangers let alone show someone around.... I am the girl who can travel overseas alone and still not meet anyone... and be fine with that! well, kind of

 
At 3:58 AM, Blogger zjcroft said...

actually I normally give that vibe as well, which was why I was so surprised!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home