Wednesday night

Things I learnt on Wednesday night. One, don’t link your blog to your skype profile unless you want people you chat with to read it, oops! Two, if you hang around Town Hall looking a bit undecided you get free tickets to stuff, cool!
The Melbourne Comedy Festival is a pretty big event in the social calendar, I decided that I would be quite annoyed at myself if I was here and I didn’t attend a single show, of course it’s been going for a week and I hadn’t done anything about it!.
Luckily DZ (there’s your mention, I know you wanted one!), suggested we see a show on Wednesday night. So after work off we went to Town Hall, for those who are not into planning there is a board with all the shows on that night listed by time. A great idea I thought, still a little daunting as the board is really full, looking confused can have its benefits though, as we were offered free tickets to see Fiona McGary at the Portland Hotel. She is described as ‘one of the leaders of the next generation of Australian comedy stars!’ and as having a ‘dry, observational style’.
The room the show was held in was approximately the size of someone’s bedroom, quite cosy!
A quick poll of the audience (the other 8 people) suggested that no-one had actually paid the $18 to see Fiona McGary, oh dear. Having said that I would have paid for a ticket, she was really good, it takes a lot of guts to get up and try to make people laugh, especially when you’ve had to resort to giving out free tickets in order to get a bigger audience.
Finally for the first (and probably last) time ever I ate a chicken parma!. I really don’t get this Melbourne fascination for flat, dry, crumbed chicken covered in Napoli sauce and cheese. All I could taste was the tomato and cheese, it’s a waste of good chicken.
The Melbourne Comedy Festival is a pretty big event in the social calendar, I decided that I would be quite annoyed at myself if I was here and I didn’t attend a single show, of course it’s been going for a week and I hadn’t done anything about it!.
Luckily DZ (there’s your mention, I know you wanted one!), suggested we see a show on Wednesday night. So after work off we went to Town Hall, for those who are not into planning there is a board with all the shows on that night listed by time. A great idea I thought, still a little daunting as the board is really full, looking confused can have its benefits though, as we were offered free tickets to see Fiona McGary at the Portland Hotel. She is described as ‘one of the leaders of the next generation of Australian comedy stars!’ and as having a ‘dry, observational style’.
The room the show was held in was approximately the size of someone’s bedroom, quite cosy!
A quick poll of the audience (the other 8 people) suggested that no-one had actually paid the $18 to see Fiona McGary, oh dear. Having said that I would have paid for a ticket, she was really good, it takes a lot of guts to get up and try to make people laugh, especially when you’ve had to resort to giving out free tickets in order to get a bigger audience.
Finally for the first (and probably last) time ever I ate a chicken parma!. I really don’t get this Melbourne fascination for flat, dry, crumbed chicken covered in Napoli sauce and cheese. All I could taste was the tomato and cheese, it’s a waste of good chicken.

3 Comments:
Must admit I'm not a parma fan either. Schnitzel with mushroom sauce does the trick just fine :)
No point giving me a free mention. I don't read your blog anymore. - DZ
Dunno about parma but I find stand-up so painful. I feel awful for the poor dears up there possibly 'dying' any minute. I have long said I would only go see a sure thing like Billy Connolly (love you Billy). Good on ya for supporting an up-and-comer.
Post a Comment
<< Home