Anyone for tennis?
Another Melbourne must-do is to go to the tennis. Ground pass tickets are only $29, a bargain I thought. I decided I had better go, I love to watch live sport, I was in Melbourne and I would never be able to face a particular friend’s husband if I didn’t!
It was a typical Melbourne day, cloudy, sunny, windy, hot, cold and then rainy. I was wearing sunscreen and a raincoat.
With these types of events you really need to have a plan in order to get the most out of the day. I instead threw caution to the wind and didn’t have a single strategy; I didn’t even know who was playing. As a result my friends and I ended up standing in the line to get into the Vodafone arena for an hour. It was one of those situations where you reach a point of no return, they kept telling us we might not get in until the end of the game but we were about 5 people from the front and we had already waited for about 45mins. We stuck it out…and were rewarded with seats in the nose-bleed section. Apparently the Germans Haas and Mayer were playing but I was to far away to see clearly. The pass-out system baffled us so we stayed until we were starving then left. We also watched some mixed doubles, the Aussies won, yay and Mauresmo playing in the ladies doubles (she looks a lot smaller in real life).
It made me wistful about when I used to play in my younger days (I can say that now I’m nearing 30!). Saturday mornings down at the local tennis courts (we had fake grass stuff, very fancy!)…ah good times.
Before I knew it, it was 5pm and raining, the outside games were stopped, we didn’t feel like waiting another hour to get back into Vodafone so we called it a day.
All I can say is that it was heaps of fun and very cool ;-)
And the above pictures are proof that I didn’t just make all that up!
It was a typical Melbourne day, cloudy, sunny, windy, hot, cold and then rainy. I was wearing sunscreen and a raincoat.
With these types of events you really need to have a plan in order to get the most out of the day. I instead threw caution to the wind and didn’t have a single strategy; I didn’t even know who was playing. As a result my friends and I ended up standing in the line to get into the Vodafone arena for an hour. It was one of those situations where you reach a point of no return, they kept telling us we might not get in until the end of the game but we were about 5 people from the front and we had already waited for about 45mins. We stuck it out…and were rewarded with seats in the nose-bleed section. Apparently the Germans Haas and Mayer were playing but I was to far away to see clearly. The pass-out system baffled us so we stayed until we were starving then left. We also watched some mixed doubles, the Aussies won, yay and Mauresmo playing in the ladies doubles (she looks a lot smaller in real life).
It made me wistful about when I used to play in my younger days (I can say that now I’m nearing 30!). Saturday mornings down at the local tennis courts (we had fake grass stuff, very fancy!)…ah good times.
Before I knew it, it was 5pm and raining, the outside games were stopped, we didn’t feel like waiting another hour to get back into Vodafone so we called it a day.
All I can say is that it was heaps of fun and very cool ;-)
And the above pictures are proof that I didn’t just make all that up!

2 Comments:
Nice photos!
I keep meaning to get to the Open, "one year".
Mike is happy that you went. I fear we too are a 'one year' couple!!! Good on ya for going, would have been very exciting.
KG
Post a Comment
<< Home