Hello, here's me!

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Brazil


A few weeks ago I was invited to my friends house for an authentic Brazilian lunch. I had no idea what Brazilian people eat and I was keen to find out.
Shortly after I arrived SA showed me a Brazilian cookbook with the recipe of the national dish, called Feijoada (pronounced feshwarda), I was thrilled to see the ingredients included pigs ears, pigs trotters and pigs blood, plus some other lovely animal bits and some black beans!. I was a bit scared but game to try it, I don’t like to see things wasted.
I must have looked slightly green because she reassured me that today the dish is cooked using pork sausages and dried beef instead, phew!
The picture is above, it was delicious. Apparently it is known as a complete meal, the meat contains protein and iron, you eat it with rice for carbs, oranges (fruit intake plus it helps absorb the iron), and some weird green vegetable.
You learn something new every day.

1 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Blogger Bertie Mabootoo said...

Hmmm, I think I'd explode from unaccustomed richness of food if I ate that, but the balance sounds good. Might have to work out the best way to tie all those elements together in a blander way :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home