Don’t give up your day job
Last week 2 of my friends were visiting from Canberra, one for work and the other on a holiday. As the local it was my job to show them around the town.
Yeah sorry guys I think if I really was a tour guide I would have been fired…and probably sued!.
Exhibit A. Thursday I took VT to the Spencer street DFO, it was a lot smaller than I remembered and apparently the worst of all DFOs in Melbourne.
Exhibit B. Dinner at a Japanese restaurant in Southbank, not everyone’s a fan of raw fish and eating Bento (assorted mystery things in a box), novel but probably a little strange.
Exhibit C. Friday night trip to Bridge Rd, I thought late night shopping extended to Richmond, apparently not. We trammed it back and meandered through Myers and DJs, ending the night with a slightly burnt foccacia at a café in the city.
Back to Bridge Rd on Saturday for breakfast and some shopping, yummy food and successful shopping, this clearly was not my idea.
Afternoon at Brunetti’s in Carlton then dinner at Tiamo’s. Both very authentic Melbourne eateries, very delicious food. Also not my idea. The only part I controlled was attempting to get a table at Tiamo’s, it’s so popular that you have to wait for a table, I didn’t realise you have to wait inside otherwise everyone pushes in front of you. We ended up waiting 20 minutes instead of 10, oops. Fantastic Italian food though!
Exhibit D. I suggested going to the Queen Vic Markets on Sunday morning. I mis-timed the tram and we ended up walking the 5 blocks to the markets. VT was a very good sport with this one…we made me feel better by saying that its good exercise!
Exhibit E. I decided we wanted pancakes for breakfast and consequently by-passed a number of probably excellent breakfast establishments in favour of a café that had the pancakes I wanted. Our waiters understanding of English suggested he had arrived in the country yesterday. This made ordering a bit of a challenge, we ordered pancakes with extra maple syrup, a latte and a mugaccino. We got pancakes with no maple syrup and my friends mugaccino turned into a short black before eventually arriving as a cappuccino, oh well close enough!
We finished the day and my tour guide duties with a coffee and lemon meringue at Laurent’s. Very french and you guessed it, not my suggestion.
It was great seeing you both. Come back soon, I promise I’ll let you or someone else to organise the itinerary ;-)

1 Comments:
You did an excellent job of keeping me entertained when i visited, working around my illness, so don't be so hard on yourself. There are just too many options to try down there! I'm sure professional tour guides get some training :)
Post a Comment
<< Home