Going solo
On Thursday night I went to the Spanish Club in Fitzroy to see Tripod (for those who don't know they are a hysterical musical/comedy act). Now I did invite someone to go with me but he had some teeth problems (as described to me earlier in the day in great detail in a text, almost put me off my lunch!) and therefore had to cancel. So I decided what the hell I'm going to stand up for single people everywhere and go on my own!.
They played the mucus song (lovely!), the hotdog man song, the Xbox song (my personal favourite) and a Neil Diamond song (Caroline), among many others. The encore was 3 Beatles songs (no jokes here) which I had never heard before.
All three of them are really great singers, musicians and comedians.
I had a really good time....however.... even though I tried really hard to stand around (beforehand and during the 20 minutes of intermission) looking like I was quite happy being on my own (which I mostly was) with no-one to talk to, I don't think I entirely pulled it off!.
It's quite difficult to achieve, maybe I should have taken a book or my MP3 player. The situation was not helped by the fact that the audience seemed to be made up of annoying young uni students talking shit, bitter and complaining middle aged women and groping couples (each other, not me!....by far the majority!), at one point I got shoved out of the way by a couple who wanted the seat I was standing in front of!.
I managed to fill up 10 minutes of intermission standing in the line for the toilets but the rest was spent trying not to look lonely and pathetic.
So to sum up, glad I went, great show, next time I'm going solo I must remember to bring a book and capsicum spray for those sickening couples.

4 Comments:
Glad you enjoyed the show!
Tripod are awesome (I even got to see them for free at a work conference once), single-dom can be awkward, but luckily for big, scary me no one tries to shove me.
Sounds like you at least got the opportunity to confirm how annoying other people are :)
Goodonya. I went to a gig alone once, but only because they were checking EVERYONE's id no matter how old you looked, and Kam did not have any. I didn't enjoy it that much.
I LOVE that Neil Diamond song Sweet Caroline.
Maybe next time take a notebook and do some eavesdropping.
Got to love the unrequired info from PK!! Got more today about the tooth problem and how it's been fixed.
Well done for going on your own, very proud of you. Yeah next time take a notebook and write down the crap you hear!!
KG
That should read PM and not PK.
KG
Post a Comment
<< Home